Albuquerque, NM asked in Divorce, Real Estate Law and Family Law for New Mexico

Q: Do I have any right to money from the sale of the house my ex husband is selling when he never removed me from the deed

We bought the house in 2019, divorced in September 2022 when I moved out. He had until Nov 1 to remove me from the deed but never did. Now he’s selling and wants me to sign the paperwork to remove me from the deed.

1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In a situation like this, the division of proceeds from the sale of the house typically depends on the divorce settlement agreement or court orders. If your divorce decree outlines how the property should be handled and whether you're entitled to a share of the sale proceeds, that agreement would usually govern the situation. For personalized legal advice tailored to your unique circumstances, it's advisable to consult with an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.