Hazard, KY asked in Criminal Law for Kentucky

Q: My cousin got released from jail the jail calls 5 hrs later and says they made a mistake and let him out 5 days early

She let them know he was headed out of town to work that she would message him they told her if he don't turn his self in within a few hrs they would issue a warrant after they released him and he couldnt get back that quick it's there fault how can they charge him

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: In Kentucky, if a jail mistakenly releases an inmate early and later realizes the error, they can request the inmate to return to custody. If the inmate doesn't comply, the jail may issue a warrant for their arrest. While the mistake was made by the jail, the responsibility for returning to custody rests with the inmate. For personalized legal advice tailored to your unique circumstances, it's advisable to consult with an attorney.

Timothy Denison agrees with this answer

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: He should report back asap so as to avoid any charges.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.