Denver, CO asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Colorado

Q: Am i able to get custody of my step son?

My step son was born in mexico mom has not been involed in his lfe for a little over 2 yrs i am married to his bio father

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: If biological Mother has abandoned the child then you can apply for stepparent adoption. Biological Mother must be informed of the action and receive the opportunity to be heard. If she consents then the process is much easier than if she contests. In my experience biological parents who have not been involved often consent or fail to appear and sometimes the fact that they will no longer be liable for child support will entice them to consent.

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: To seek custody of your stepson, being married to his biological father can potentially support your case. However, several factors need consideration. Since the child was born in Mexico and if his mother is not involved in his life, custody issues may involve complex international legal aspects, including parental rights and international laws. For personalized legal advice tailored to your unique circumstances, it's advisable to consult with an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.