Atlanta, GA asked in Family Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Georgia

Q: do you have to sign a dependency petition to consent/stipulate to the allegations? can consent be rescinded or vacated?

i was told by the court appointed attorney that all i would have to do is consent to a psychological and couples counseling, the court would oversee the progress, my daughter would remain with us, case closed with completion. fast forward to the hearing: girlfriend and myself appeared via zoom to the adjudicatory hearing. phone died during initial testimony and about 10 min later, we reconnected to a concluded hearing.

-18 days later i get calls from atleast 5 providers scheduling me for assessments i didnt agree to

-was contacted by the attorney 29 days later the day before the next court date and was told to appear again via zoom

-appeared via zoom and was ordered to come to court immediately

-car was disabled and couldnt comply

-judge ordered the removal of my daughter for not having her assessed, not coming to court, and our demeanor

-no order was entered from the court until 36 days after the initial hearing, and 5 days after "not complying" with the order

1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You should get an attorney who represents parents in juvenile cases to represent you. I fear you're going to have a very hard time getting your child back representing yourself.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.