Hopkinsville, KY asked in Family Law for Kentucky

Q: My partner bought her daughter, my step daughter, a vape pen. She is only 15 years old. We live in KY. Is this illegal?

I found out from my step daughter that her mother, my partner, bought her a nicotine vape pen. She said she was curious and just asked, and she said ok. For multiple reasons, I have decided to leave the relationship. Personally I am torn on whether or not to report it. I love my child as if they were my own blood, and saying that I think it's proper to report this. For her well being in the future. I cannot fathom someone in their right mind making a choice like providing an illegal substance for a minor, one with many ramifications, to a minor. I would understand if it was a puff or two off of a cigarette, but to buy a whole vape pen crossed the line in my opinion. My question; is this an illegal activity, and am I required to report this, would I get in trouble if I don't, and in your personal opinion do I owe it to this child to report this.. Sorry that last bit may be for a counselor. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Technically, it is not illegal but I agree it is a poor practice. You are under no obligation to report anything to anyone. If you are leaving the relationship, I would not report it. Looks retaliatory. If this kind of conduct continues, it will come out in the wash anyway.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.