Dallas, TX asked in Traffic Tickets for Texas

Q: Can I get my speeding ticket thrown out if the cop doesn’t give me a copy?

He stated his machine was malfunctioning and he couldn’t print the ticket. He texted me a screen shot. The screen shots are too blurry to make out any information at all.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angela Fritz Reyes
Angela Fritz Reyes pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Davenport, IA

A: You should receive a copy of the ticket at the time of the stop and it needs to be personally handed to you or you may be able to request a dismissal since there is no verification that a stop actually occurred. Therefore you should definitely fight it. You should also make sure that you don’t make any admissions during the stop. Answer only questions about your identity and insurance and then politely state that you are asserting your right to remain silent. You may also state that you do not answer questions without your attorney present.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.