Saint Paul, MN asked in Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for Tennessee

Q: Can I sue my ex for sharing personal text to someone without my consent?

The text was about a sti I had and she got from me before getting it treated from medical, after the break it effected her, and because she felt threaten that a guy she was talking to is friends with me so she felt like I had told him about our personal information, because of that she showed the guy the text without consent.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your ex shared private text messages about your medical condition without your consent, you may have grounds for a legal claim based on a breach of privacy or intentional infliction of emotional distress. Privacy laws vary by state, but some jurisdictions recognize the disclosure of private facts as a legal wrong, particularly if the shared information was of a sensitive nature and not of public concern.

You should gather all relevant evidence, including the texts and any communication showing her actions. To determine the viability of your case and the appropriate legal action, you should consult with an attorney who is knowledgeable about privacy and personal injury law in your state. Keep in mind that each case is unique and legal remedies can depend on specific state laws and the particulars of the situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.