Dallas, TX asked in Traffic Tickets for Oklahoma

Q: In Oklahoma my son’s car was impounded due to expire in Tag. He was not able to get it out of impound in a timely manner

End it was still sold at auction. He did not owe anything on the car and I know it sold for more than what was owed to the wrecker service. I cannot get any answers out of the wrecker service about the sale. The title was not yet in my sons name so they looked up the owner and it was actually the previous owner. They were still on the title, and I do not know where the car is gone. What recourse do we have?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: If they sold your son's car at auction without giving him proper notice. Under Oklahoma law, wrecker services must send notice to the owner of a towed vehicle before selling it at auction. The notice must include the date, time, and location of the auction, as well as the amount of money owed to the wrecker service.

If the wrecker service did not send proper notice to your son before selling his car, then you may be able to sue them for conversion.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of internet questions, the information provided can ONLY be for general informational purposes and cannot constitute legal advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.