Orange Beach, AL asked in Family Law for Alabama

Q: What’s the easiest way to change my name back to my maiden name?This was never done during my divorce in 2002!!!

I was married and divorced in Ga. I now live in Baldwin Co Al.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: To revert to your maiden name after a long time since your divorce, you will need to go through a formal name change process in Alabama. This typically involves filing a petition with the probate court in the county where you reside, publishing a notice in a local newspaper, and possibly attending a court hearing. You'll need to provide the court with your divorce decree showing your maiden name and the reason for changing your name back.

After the court approves your name change, you will receive a legal document that you can use to update your name on all your legal and personal records. It's advisable to contact your local probate court for the specific forms and detailed instructions, as the process can vary slightly by county.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.