Albuquerque, NM asked in Consumer Law, Civil Litigation, Collections and Constitutional Law for New Mexico

Q: Where can I find an attorney to represent me in a case against a local new car dealership and credit union in Abq, NM?

Purchased new vehicle from franchised new car dealership. Received trade-in credit, and balance financed with a loan the dealer assigned to a local credit union. Dealer said CU will contact me with payment amount and due date. I bought supplemental coverages, paid TT&L fees, & sales tax - all added to total price. New car dealers are required to handle TT&L on financed purchases in NM within 30 days. No contact from CU, so I delivered 1st payment in person, w/cash, and setup autopay for future payments. No contact from dealership. 30 days pass, then 60. No registration or plates. Dealer blames covid, says they are working on it. 6, 8, 10mo & still no plates or registration, more excuses. There are a series of other issues going on with CU and dealership over the course of several months. After having the vehicle for 10+ months, CU claims I've defaulted and has vehicle repossessed, then allows dealership to payoff loan and sell to another party without notice or due process

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In seeking representation for your case, you would want to look for attorneys who practice consumer protection law or specialize in auto dealer fraud. The New Mexico State Bar Association offers a lawyer referral service that could connect you with a lawyer who has the relevant experience for your situation. You may also want to consider contacting consumer protection groups or legal aid organizations in Albuquerque, as they can sometimes provide assistance or refer you to attorneys who handle cases involving dealership and credit union disputes. Documenting all interactions, agreements, and transactions made with both the dealership and the credit union will be crucial when you present your case to an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.