Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
New Mexico Civil Litigation Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Civil Litigation for New Mexico on
Q: can we be sued for a car that was repossessed 20 years ago?

we received a call for my wife today who was a cosigner on the original loan. this person said they work for an arbitration firm and said since my wife did not respond to the letter they sent within the 30 days they were proceeding with filing judgement paperwork. problem is we never received a... View More

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jul 14, 2023

there is a statute of limitations on debts, which sets a time limit for legal action to be taken. The statute of limitations for a car loan or breach of contract can vary depending on the jurisdiction and the specific circumstances of the case. However, it is highly unusual for a debt from 20 years... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Civil Litigation for New Mexico on
Q: In state of New Mexico, the rules of filing an amended civil complaint, that has been responded by defendant over a year

In 3/22, a civil complaint was filed against me, which I responded and now the plaintiff has hired an attorney, 5/17/23, which filed an amended civil complaint. What is the rules to follow now? Is this not a new complaint?

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jun 1, 2023

You need to file an Answer to the Amended Complaint. If Leave Of Court was not granted to amend the Complaint, you could move to strike it. That will probably not help your case unless there is a violation of the SOL.

1 Answer | Asked in Government Contracts, Bankruptcy and Civil Litigation for New Mexico on
Q: In the state of New Mexico is the G.C. liable on a prevailing wage job to pay a 3rd party employee if their employedidnt

We were a 3rd party contr ax actor which my employer gave us run around on wages for prevailing wages and were afraid if we pursue this hell never pay and close the doors. Got to thinkin what is certified payroll for to account for every penny spent of tax payers money so if our boss goes belly up... View More

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on May 23, 2023

In theory, the GC should be liable for the unpaid subs, yes.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for New Mexico on
Q: What is the law on flag, if you have proof of someone throwing it on the ground?

And what should I do if I have proof of someone assaulting me, calling me racist names, and destruction of private property?

Stephen Aarons
Stephen Aarons
answered on Jan 13, 2021

you can go to the court and petition for a protective order. If s/he does it after the restraining order is granted, the police will arrest on the spot.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Personal Injury, Products Liability and Civil Litigation for New Mexico on
Q: Can I impleader a Defendant as a co party

Civil suit case

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jan 21, 2020

It's possible you could. You would be best off discussing this with an attorney in New Mexico, but your post remains open for a week. As a general matter, this arises in contribution or indemnity settings, and the party you implead becomes a third-party defendant. This is covered in Rule 14 of... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for New Mexico on
Q: Can you help me to locate an attorney to represent myself or my family members in the opiate epidemic class action?

I am seeking compensation against the manufacturers of hydrocodone for reimbursement for my family in paying for extended rehabilitation efforts following opiate addiction.

Deena L. Buchanan
Deena L. Buchanan
answered on Dec 12, 2019

Yes, there are lawyers taking these cases. You can contact any of us who practice in the area of personal injury, particularly those who advertise experience in class action or pharmaceutical litigation.

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for New Mexico on
Q: Today I was leaving the store a manager and an employee followed me outside and harrased me can I file a lawsuit

It was at Goodwill I was just looking around after picking up brochures from the job room a lady seen that I needed a job and was very kind to me told me to go apply at so and so and I greatly appreciated it as I was walking out the store manager and another employee began to be rude and harassing... View More

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
answered on Aug 25, 2019

If suing, you expose your entire mental health history and medical records.

Truly, what are the monetary value of the damages?

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Banking, Civil Litigation and Internet Law for New Mexico on
Q: I am being billed monthly, and CitiBank is paying over my objections, for a service I haven't used since 2016.

When I call the number listed for the invalid bill on my Citi statements, they hang up on me with no discussion. The email address on their website doesn't work.

Regardless, Citi says I need to communicate with the vendor to stop charges. I can't communicate with them and... View More

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on Jul 8, 2019

FYI: You are fighting the "triangle" battle that very few--if any--bank customers can ever hope to win. But as a former bank operations officer, I will tell you the easiest and most effective way to win and stop the monthly bleeding:

Close your account at Citi Bank--and do not...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Employment Law and Employment Discrimination for New Mexico on
Q: Do I have to sign a release of information for all former and any company I applied for since my constructive discharge?

Employment disability discrimination case in New Mexico. In the discovery phase, they are insisting that I sign a release of information for all former, even though I was employed by this company for 17 years, and all companies I applied since my constructive discharge. What relevance does any... View More

Deena L. Buchanan
Deena L. Buchanan
answered on Jun 29, 2019

Are you handling this case by yourself? If possible, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney. Litigation is filled with these kinds of issues that can get your case dismissed if you don't handle them properly.

I believe you are asking about an employment information release....
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Civil Litigation and Collections for New Mexico on
Q: I'm being sued by a collections for student loan debt from ITT Tech, over 10 years old. Do I have rights

I tried to get it dismissed because I never finished or obtained a degree and the ending result the loans racked up to around $89,000 theres no way I can afford to pay this back I have 3 kids now and I filed paperwork because I found it tech was still filing loans for me and collecting student aid... View More

David Humphreys
David Humphreys
answered on Jun 29, 2019

You need to know what type of loans were issued and whether they are federally guaranteed. Some student loans even survive bankruptcy.

Gather the original loan papers if you can locate them. Contact a student loan lawyer. A fdcpa attorney can advise you if the debt collector broke debt...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Products Liability, Civil Litigation and Small Claims for New Mexico on
Q: Took car to mechanic he let someone else take car to get diagnoses check and ended up worse!?

Car only had misfire, got vehicle back smoking from engine!

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Mar 18, 2019

It's not fully clear what took place here, in terms of what you agreed to, whether you were provided with an estimate, what amount you were charged, what the original problem with the car was, what the condition of the car is, what the mechanic did, among other issues. You could contact an... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Consumer Law, Contracts and Real Estate Law for New Mexico on
Q: I live in New Mexico. Can I creditor place lien on my house if I am not late on payments to the creditor?

I purchased a water softener unit for my house and I recently found out that the finance company placed a lien on my property as soon as the contracts were signed. The payments have been paid regularly and up to date when I found out of the lien on my property. Can this be done without a judgement?

David Humphreys
David Humphreys
answered on Mar 6, 2019

It depends on what you signed. It might be that you gave them a lien on your home, like a mortgage.

It is not a judgment lien in all likelihood.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for New Mexico on
Q: Does new mexico allow a non lawyer to assume next friend status and assist an ill, pro se litigant in civil court?
Gary William Boyle
Gary William Boyle
answered on Apr 28, 2017

No. To represent someone in Court you have to be licensed as an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.