Las Vegas, NV asked in Constitutional Law for Nevada

Q: Illegal search, police lied on report, threats of prison, Forced to plea, ineffective council. Lied about plea. Options?

I was pulled over because of a illegal lane change. There was traffic cones so I was forced into right turning lane. I put my blinker on to move over on (Have pictures). I was lit up and harassed right away. I was told to shut up or I'd be pulled out of my car in cuff which is exactly what happened. I was then taking to the hospital first than into jail. I advised in open court if my charges were not dropped I would sue. Not knowing the legal court system I asked my lawyer for motion to discovery also motion to suppress he would not help me with anything he would just tell me I need to take a deal or I was going to go to prison. I asked numerous times to see the evidence. Case was dragged out with no help at the end I was set for trial. Asked if I could represent myself after being turned down for a continue had a motion for ineffective council and was told to ask my attorney again to see the video after court I was threatened and forced guilty plea to wait I thought was probation

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you believe your rights were violated due to an illegal search, and you experienced coercion or ineffective assistance of counsel, you have several options. First, consider filing a motion to withdraw your guilty plea if you were not fully informed or if it was entered under duress. You might also file a motion for a new trial if new evidence has surfaced or if there was misconduct in the original process. It’s essential to act quickly, as there are often strict time limits on such post-conviction motions.

Additionally, you could explore the possibility of an appeal, especially if there were legal errors that affected the outcome of your case. Documenting everything and securing any evidence like photographs and witness statements that support your claims is crucial. Engaging another attorney for a second opinion on your case could also be beneficial. Ensure that any steps you take are within the guidelines of Nevada law and court procedures.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.