Asked in Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: My grandparents passed away over 20 ago and in their will they stated that the home would belong to one of my uncles

And the property would be split among all the siblings. The only surviving child is my father. Would like to know who is now the rightful owner of the house and property. The property is currently vacant and looking to sell it. This property is in Puerto Rico

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: You need to verify the real estate property's status in the Puerto Rico Property Registry: were your grandparents' wills filed to transfer ownership to their children (your father, aunts, and uncles)? Assuming that the transfer was completed, an adjudication deed would've need to be subscribed by all the heirs to leave the house to one of them. If any of the heirs have since been deceased, either wills or declarations of heirs will need to be procured from the courts to update the list of heirs entitled to the property before it can be sold.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.