Portland, OR asked in Contracts, Personal Injury, Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Oregon

Q: My landlord in Oregon used “landlord retaliation” to make me leave. Can I sue or counter sue them and in what court?

After I pointed out that they hadn’t replaced a broken bathroom fan after a year of asking and they underpaid me for an unrelated job, my landlord sent me a rent increase letter (a month after signing a lease renewal at the same rate) and daily notices with eviction warnings. I had never received a single notice prior and never before had she mentioned a rent increase. They also sent me a notice saying that I could no longer get a roomate which I was seeking to help with rent. And the prior candidate that submitted her application to the landlord was denied because she’s ac bikini barista and my landlord condemned that saying she’s a feminist (all in text message).

Not only that, but even after I put in my 30 day notice because I wanted to remove myself from her harassment, she tried taking me to eviction court to use the power of the state to inflict pain on me. She lost of course.

1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: If you already were in court - that was your time to press a retaliation claim. Depending upon the details, you may still be able to file a new lawsuit for damages but do so knowing that retaliation claims are difficult to win and if you lose, you may owe his court costs and attorney's fees. Getting unexpected rent increases is one of the down sides of doing a month to month tenancy; if it had been a fixed term lease, the rent could not be raised until after the lease expired.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.