Duluth, MN asked in Divorce, Banking and Family Law for Minnesota

Q: my parents got divorced in 2006 when they signed the papers it stated that both of them will have a college fund set up

When i got accepted to college and i asked my dad for my college fund he told me no. What can i do? (The divorce papers have account numbers of the fund)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David H. Relkin
David H. Relkin
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Manhasset, NY

A: He said "no" or he said he didn't set up the account? College funds are generally trust funds controlled by the Trustee who generally provides in the Trust fund document that he has discretion. That would prove a difficulty especially since you don't want to antagonize him. There is unfortunately no easy way to get information from the bank or Investment Fund that holds the assets without him knowing or without serving process (such as a subpoena) on the institution. Does your mother know anything? Perhaps she can confirm the existence and location of the account and perhaps even the nature of the Trust?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.