Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Minnesota Banking Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Banking and Family Law for Minnesota on
Q: my parents got divorced in 2006 when they signed the papers it stated that both of them will have a college fund set up

When i got accepted to college and i asked my dad for my college fund he told me no. What can i do? (The divorce papers have account numbers of the fund)

David H. Relkin
David H. Relkin
answered on Nov 2, 2023

He said "no" or he said he didn't set up the account? College funds are generally trust funds controlled by the Trustee who generally provides in the Trust fund document that he has discretion. That would prove a difficulty especially since you don't want to antagonize him.... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Minnesota on
Q: I filed a bank atm dispute..twice, and still have not received my money back. Can I take the bank to small claims court?
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Aug 25, 2023

Yes, you can consider taking the bank to small claims court in Minnesota if you have filed an ATM dispute twice and still have not received your money back. Small claims court is designed to handle disputes involving relatively small amounts of money, and it provides a platform for individuals to... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Minnesota on
Q: My loan is paid of at the bank,but my brother has the lien card. We don't talk. What do I do

I legally can't talk to my brother

Robert Kane
Robert Kane
answered on Nov 6, 2023

I am not sure what your objective is or if other obstacles exist, but I would think an attorney can help.

2 Answers | Asked in Banking for Minnesota on
Q: Does a financial institution have the right to suspend wiring privileges on my account?

The institution had previously made 3 wire transfers for me.

There were no issues with where the money was wired to (

I even have two of my retirement checks (Gov) directly deposited to that account.

The reason for not allowing me to wire is; They... View More

Robert Kane
Robert Kane
answered on Sep 4, 2023

You probably need to speak to an attorney specializing in banking law. Quite frankly, the specific regulations are probably not something most attorneys deal with often. I would think a financial institution does have the right to suspend wiring privileges on your account.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Banking for Minnesota on
Q: I have not been charged yet. Is it possible to speak with a lawyer. The bank says their was a Zelle check/ in my name.

Over $4800

Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
answered on Aug 25, 2023

Yes, simply call a lawyer on the phone. In the meantime, avoid talking to anyone else about it.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Banking for Minnesota on
Q: What is the likelihood of Obtaining a Lein Release with a remaining balance after Mortgage Company goes out of business?

I took out a 2nd mortgage in September of 2007 with Beneficial Loan and Trust. Shortly after this, they went out of business. I tried to make payments and contact them, but my payments were returned and was never able to get a hold of anyone. I waited for documentation of transfer, assumption,... View More

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jul 19, 2022

More than likely the best course to take is to hire competent MN attorney to file a Quiet Title Action. Lapse of the SOL should be a strong argument that the Mortgage/Deed of Trust should not remain against the real property. You are asking the Court to declare the Lien released.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Insurance Defense for Minnesota on
Q: What if a financial insurance accidentally wired you ,$500,000 can you keep it
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Apr 21, 2022

A Minnesota attorney could answer best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Until you have a meaningful consult with a local attorney based on all the details of the matter, nationwide, insurance carriers will usually come back to recover their funds upon discovering bookkeeping errors.... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Minnesota on
Q: My parents made me transfer $20,000 into their account and they will not give it to me. How do I get my money?

I received the $20,000 from a lawsuit when I was 9-10 years old. When I turned 18 (August 2018) I received it and they made me transfer it to them. I went on a 8 month mission trip for my church and now that I am back they will not give it back.

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on Jun 10, 2019

Wow. You are a legal adult, so you are able to sue your parents for the return of your money; But I do not recommend trying that until you have exhausted all non-legal alternatives. Call some relatives and ask for their advice.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Consumer Law and Tax Law for Minnesota on
Q: I had gotten an inheritance in 2011 and havent filed taxes since or worked and Minnesota seized 28k from my bank

Assuming I had 255k of taxable income, but they cleaned me out is there a possible law suit

Eric  Day
Eric Day
answered on Jun 6, 2018

The IRS has the right to file what is called an SFR - substitute for return on your behalf. If they see a substantial amount of income that was reported to them from third-parties, they will likely conduct an audit of your account and force the preparation of a tax return. Once there is an... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.