Denver, CO asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Connecticut

Q: Can executor move an estate's millions of $ into CDs rather than having them sit in super-low-interest money mkt accts?

This is a Connecticut Probate question. The deceased was not very good at finances, and did not put their money into good financial instruments for the family. So there are a couple million dollars sitting locked in various sub-0.5% interest-bearing money-market funds. Once the Court appoints a family member as Executor, can said Executor move these funds, with full oversight from and coordination with the Court, to, SAY, FOR EXAMPLE, high-interest-bearing CDs at banks, also so they'd then be insured by FDIC? It seems the financially responsible thing to do for the family, and would increase the estate by over $100K by the time the Court allows all funds in the estate to be released to designated recipients.

Note to attorneys: No need to focus on CDs or other instruments, not the point AT ALL. Point is: CAN IT BE DONE by an executor in the first place? Sigh

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven Basche
Steven Basche
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • West Hartford, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: Investing the funds in CD's may be a good idea, but you have to keep in mind that the estate may need some liquidity to pay ongoing or other expenses. Also, you should consider rolling maturity dates, say some 3 month CD's, some 6 month CD's and some 9 month CD's. This way you will be able to respond to cash needs without incurring a penalty for early withdrawal. You should get permission/advice from the court to protect yourself.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.