Livermore, CA asked in Probate for Nevada

Q: Can letters of administration in California be transferred or filed in Nevada instead of filing a new probate petition.

Dad lived in California but owns property in Nevada. He died without a will was not married and I am his only child. I’m the administrator in California and don’t have a clue on where to start with Nevada. Can the order or letters of administration in California be filed in Nevada instead of filing a new petition for probate?? Dad died 06/05/2022. Any direction/guidance/help would be very much appreciated. This probate stuff is something different PLEASE HELP

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Craig Reed
Jonathan Craig Reed
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: If your father owned real estate in Nevada, an ancillary Nevada probate must be opened. Real estate must always be probated in the state it is located in. If the Nevada property is bank accounts, then the California Letters will work.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.