Philadelphia, PA asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Pennsylvania

Q: I have someone who owes what to me us a large amount of money. I need a lawyer but I have very limited resources

I have texts from Def. Proving that he has my stuff and said he would send me my belongings and that he will pay me back what he owes me

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If someone owes you a significant amount of money and has acknowledged this debt through texts, these communications can be used as evidence in your favor. You might consider seeking legal assistance, even with limited resources; many attorneys offer free initial consultations to assess the situation and may take your case on a contingency basis, especially if the evidence is strong.

Additionally, check if you qualify for legal aid or pro bono services in your area. Small claims court is also an option if the amount falls within its jurisdictional limits, which can be a more straightforward and less expensive process.

Document all interactions with the debtor and organize any evidence of the debt and your attempts to collect it. This preparation can help an attorney understand your case and determine the best course of action. Remember, it's also important to act promptly to avoid running into any statute of limitations issues that could prevent you from legally pursuing the debt.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: You could try to arrange a free initial consult with an attorney to discuss your options - some firms handle such matters on a contingency basis, but that's up to them. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.