Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Pennsylvania Small Claims Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Pennsylvania on
Q: What is the statute of limitation to take somebody to small claims court?

I helped a friend pay for a very expensive cat surgery (3k) by using my credit. I only used my credit because we agreed they would help me in making payments. It's been 3 years and they have not helped me at all. They stopped talking to me and anytime I ask for assistance, I get ignored. My... Read more »

Kent Petry
Kent Petry answered on Oct 22, 2020

In Pennsylvania, the statute of limitations on a contract, oral or verbal, is four years. The same is true for unjust enrichment actions. You would likely bring suit under either or both of those causes of action, so from what you have said it appears you may be within the statutes of limitation... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Products Liability and Small Claims for Pennsylvania on
Q: If I have a defective product resulting into a damage to my car by fire. Can I sue?

It was a product I got from harbor freight to stop welding spark and it failed by a hole being burnt through the blanket and catching the car on fire

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 29, 2020

A Pennsylvania attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. It sounds like you're talking about a welding blanket. You could contact a Pennsylvania attorney to discuss - it would take investigation and possibly trial to make the determination of defectiveness. It could... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Pennsylvania on
Q: Can I be sued for a chimney (that was fixed before settlement) 2 years after the house was sold?

I sold my house on January 16, 2018. the buyers walked through the house and approved all the requested improvements before settlement which took place that day. I now received a civil order that they are suing me 2 years after for repairs to the chimney which was completed before settlement - I... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Feb 12, 2020

you should respond. Find out from the realtor you used if there is any coverage for legal fees for this.Generally, the house is sold as is, and your agreement of sale should say that.

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Pennsylvania on
Q: How many laws are there in Dominican Republic?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 22, 2019

You would be best off consulting with someone who practices there; it could also be helpful if you narrowed your inquiry to a particular area of law for a meaningful response from an attorney. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Real Estate Law, Small Claims and Divorce for Pennsylvania on
Q: I purchased a house and my wife had just her name put on the deed. She refuses to add my name. What do I do

My wife and I purchased a house in mckean county which I paid for. Ahe doesnt work. She contacted the attorney and told them to put only her name on it. They didn't contact me to see if it was ok. However my wife is refusing to put my name on it and now I have a feeling she is going to sell it... Read more »

Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall answered on Nov 21, 2019

I suggest filing a "lis pendens" against the property in McKean Co. in the Prothonotary's Office there. Anyone looking to purchase that property in the future should see that there is a cloud on the title with that filing.

Best of luck to you.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Small Claims for Pennsylvania on
Q: Gym Fees

My Gym membership was on auto renew but he messed up and did not charge me, once he realized he messed up he sent me an email said welcome for the gift. We fulfilled another year membership but wanted to cancel but he said we owe him for the time he was not charging us. Are we liable for those... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 29, 2019

It would depend on the terms of the contract. You could have a Pennsylvania attorney review the contract and all communications between you and the gym to to explore whether there is a possibility of disputing the charges. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Pennsylvania on
Q: PA mechanic still has car one year later.

I was told that needed a head gasket one year ago. Was told (verbal only) $1,000 estimate and 2 weeks time frame. That was almost a year ago. Last time I saw the car was 6 months ago and it was still torn apart. At this point, I don’t even want the car (Book value of $3,500) back, I just want to... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 26, 2019

Storage fees or labor expended so far could become an issue. But hopefully, that could be something to negotiate if you're contemplating leaving the shop the car (and they are interested in taking it). Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Traffic Tickets and Small Claims for Pennsylvania on
Q: I was wondering if its harassment when I can't step outside my house without my neighbor calling the cops.?

So my neighbor has been causing me problems for some time now, telling the rest of my neighborhood and my small town that I cook meth and I am a drug addict and how I steal from every where, I believe she has gotten me evicted from my apartment although my landlord is trying to say its for non... Read more »

Elizabeth Tarasi
Elizabeth Tarasi answered on Aug 14, 2019

You need to report uyour licesne plate stolen and you need to obtain a license plate.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Pennsylvania on
Q: I filed a eviction for non-payment of 2 months rent ,damages,and utility bills which were never payed. We go to court.

She reveals she left a few days ago and claims harassment from a third party phone call by a relative of mine. Which was news to me and sounded bad to be honest . The judge decides she doesn’t need to pay us back anything . But now that she has left there are unpaid ullity bills,the house is a... Read more »

Elizabeth Tarasi
Elizabeth Tarasi answered on Aug 14, 2019

I would file the appeal. Also report her.

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Pennsylvania on
Q: I was sold Counterfeit baseball cards I spent over $5000 on them
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 19, 2019

You need to notify the police and/or the AG's office. Witnesses are good if anyone heard what was said.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Pennsylvania on
Q: I bought a dog for 100 bucks which included dog and accessories. And was not giving all accessories

I paid girl 50 last week nd she was supposed to get other 50 today but failed to provide the dog cage which was part of add she sold it or whatever so i.told her I wont give her other 50 until i get cage. She has now said she is going to take me to court . I wanna know if I'm in the right

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 14, 2019

You were prepared to go ahead with your end of the deal and she wasn't. You are correct. However often there is something else left out. Does she now say the cage wasn't part of it? If so there is no agreement--you think it's A she thinks it's not A but B ---and if no agreement... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Pennsylvania on
Q: Hit by a drunk driver, the drubk drivers insurance has assumed full liability for repairs, I disagree with repair value?

I believe I should be entitled to have what I had "before". The insurance co and I disagree on the repair procedure, a difference of probably less than $2000.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 26, 2019

If your vehicle is in a collision shop, property damage adjusters will sometimes revisit the vehicle to review the estimates of the shop against their own estimates after doing another walk-through of damages.

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Small Claims for Pennsylvania on
Q: I have a considerable amount of trees along my neighbors border. He is ignorant, selfish and abusive. When my trees fall

down the wind direction usually blows the trees towards and onto his property. He takes this opportunity to threaten

and harrass me as I go about cleaning them up. These are not border trees, these are trees that grow from well within

my property. Can I drag the part that lays over... Read more »

Mark Scoblionko
Mark Scoblionko answered on May 6, 2019

You are obligated to remove everything. If he won’t let you enter his property, you will have to remove the trees by pulling them from your side.

Further, if the falling trees cause damage to his property, since you are already on notice, it will likely be your problem.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Pennsylvania on
Q: Isn't agreeing to buy something on line a binding agreement?

I am trying to purchase an ( a credenza) item via Facebook Marketplace. The seller agreed to my offers twice. Then her husband wants more is $$ for this item. Her's was listed Wed, March 3-20. I agreed to purchase it at the her asking price on 3-21. Then on 3-22 I received an alert through... Read more »

Elizabeth Tarasi
Elizabeth Tarasi answered on Mar 25, 2019

Unfortunately if she is not going to be cooperative you will not be in a position to purchase the item. I would back off and disappear for a bit. When she doesn't get any other offers she will attempt to contact you. By the way what is so special about this piece of furniture?

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Pennsylvania on
Q: if judgement is entered against me Can they put lean on my pay check or bank account im in pa
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Dec 14, 2018

Bank account yes if it's not a joint account. Pay check requires an order of garnishment. Depending on the amount you may want to consider bankruptcy.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Small Claims and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: Termination of the agreement of the sale

Dear Lawyer,

i have a property in Philadelphia and i was in the Agreement of the Sale with my buyer, he Could not Obtained the Mortgage to the Settlement Day Due to the $1100 Mortgage Lien is exist in my title, the settlement day was 11/30/2018, i was Hopping to terminate the deal and sent... Read more »

Elizabeth Tarasi
Elizabeth Tarasi answered on Dec 5, 2018

I am in Pittsburgh I would contact someone in Philly

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Small Claims for Pennsylvania on
Q: If a person in pa was not authorized to drive a motor vehicle and was involved in a car accident does my ins pay out?

Does my insurance pay for the party who is not at fault vehicle damages?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Oct 11, 2018

If that person was at fault? Or not? You aren't being clear.

If your vehicle was at fault, then your vehicle's insurance will pay for the driver's mistake. If the person was not authorized to drive that vehicle, the insurance may either a) not pay or b)pay under a...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Lemon Law and Small Claims for Pennsylvania on
Q: Just bought a car from a private seller on monday. Now the next day car in shop with rotted frame. What can I do?

The car wasnt even in my posession. For 24 hours and had a good inspection sticker until next year. I used my savings to buy the car and need a vehicle for my job.

Elizabeth Tarasi
Elizabeth Tarasi answered on Sep 19, 2018

Private seller---they probably sold it to you as-is. Unfortunately there is not much you can do? If you paid with a check you can try to stop payment. Try to repair the car as best you can. I am sorry this happened to you.

2 Answers | Asked in Small Claims, Bankruptcy, Contracts and Civil Rights for Pennsylvania on
Q: Co-buyers rights after a repossession and auction of said vehicle

I had a vehicle. While it was in my possession I made payments. When the vehicle was obtained by the buyer he stopped payments and would not return the car to me (co-buyer). I made many attempts to get the car back. I made a couple attempts to get the buyer to refinance. I was in constant... Read more »

W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr. answered on Sep 15, 2018

The optimum time to seek legal advice is before a contemplated deal, like transfer of an asset, is done, not after.

With your payments toward the vehicle, and your "co-buyer's" lack of payments, you were legally entitled to claim the lion's share of the equity in the...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Small Claims for Pennsylvania on
Q: Home inspection company billed for services that weren't provided and falsified reports. Can we sue them?

We paid the home inspection company additional fees to do a well flow test which needed to be done to obtain our FHA loan. They passed our house. After we purchased, we experienced issues with the well. The plumber/well driller we called failed our house for the well flow test and stated he worked... Read more »

Elizabeth Tarasi
Elizabeth Tarasi answered on Aug 15, 2018

Yes you should be able to bring an action against the inspection company and the sellers.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.