Colorado Springs, CO asked in Landlord - Tenant for Colorado

Q: Can tenants stop a default judgement after it has been granted

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Joseph Larranaga
Michael Joseph Larranaga pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Parker, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: The short answer is yes. Depending on your specific facts, it is possible. For example, if a person was not properly served and not provided an opportunity to be heard, that person in theory, could ask the court to set aside the judgment. Why? Because we have the right to due process in this county. You have to be provided with notice of impending court proceedings or else the system does not work. What that notice is varies but you are entitled to some sort of notice.

But again, it all depends. If you simply choose not to respond, you will have a much harder time of it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.