Colorado Springs, CO asked in Landlord - Tenant for Colorado

Q: I was granted a motion for default judgement and the courts sent the notification out to them with my address by mistake

I was granted a motions to reopen the eviction case and one for default judgement. The documents the courts send to the defendants were by mistake sent in their name but with my address. Do I put on the envelopes return to to sender wrong address or take them to the courthouse and tell them their mistake or hand deliver them to the defendants?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: You should notify the court of the error immediately. It is generally not your responsibility to correct court mailing mistakes, and you should refrain from taking any action that could be misconstrued, such as hand delivering the documents to the defendants. Marking the envelopes as "Return to Sender" with a note indicating the incorrect address and returning them to the postal service could be an appropriate step.

However, directly informing the court allows them to remedy the mistake and ensures that proper legal procedure is followed, which is crucial in maintaining the integrity of the default judgment you were granted. Keep records of your communication with the court regarding this matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.