Decatur, MI asked in Banking and Criminal Law for Michigan

Q: What do I need to do if someone wrote me a bad check for $850 in Michigan?

This lady has strung me along and lied several times. I have all of her messages. I have the bad check.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Michigan, if you've received a bad check, there are several steps you can take. Initially, contact the issuer of the check and request payment. If they fail to make good on the check, you can send a formal demand for payment via certified mail. Michigan law allows you to demand payment within a certain time frame, typically seven days. If the issuer still doesn't pay, you can file a complaint with your local police department or the county prosecutor's office, as writing a bad check is a criminal offense in Michigan.

Additionally, you can file a civil lawsuit to recover the amount of the check plus any additional damages allowed under Michigan law. Keep all evidence, including the check, any communication with the issuer, and records of your attempts to resolve the matter. It may also be beneficial to consult with a lawyer to guide you through the legal process and ensure that your rights are protected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.