Asked in Domestic Violence for Oregon

Q: Hi I'm a victim of dv my boyfriend is locked up the DA want me to talk my question is what type of protection is offered

I Avoided the DA because me and my family are afraid and I have no transportation. So will they help with any of it

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Talk to the DA and see what, if anything, they are willing to do. Being afraid to talk with them, however, doesn't really make much sense given that you probably are the star witness against BF so as soon as he gets out he may come looking for you in order to stop or at least discourage you from testifying against him. The DA and restraining order(s) are you best chance of protection, along with moving somewhere that he can't find you (or that mutual friends won't tell him about). Then at least if he simply contacts you, he can go back to jail without having to do anything else. You may want to consider getting a new boyfriend as well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.