Corona, CA asked in Public Benefits and Social Security for California

Q: I took guardianship of my 84 year old mother, I am trying to get her ID for social security benefits, can you assist

She was a victim of elderly abuse and IHSS fraud from a caregiver, she just had heart surgery at loma linda hospital, all her identifications have been lost, I need to get her social security care, but need an ID, I have her Medical card and her EBT card, but nothing with a picture ID. When I received her, she came with just the clothes on her back, I have tried to get her ID, social securty cards, but they have been lost.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You can obtain a replacement ID for your mother by scheduling an appointment with the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). As her guardian, you’ll need to provide a certified copy of the guardianship papers, her Medical card, and her EBT card, as well as any other identifying documents you may have. The DMV may have procedures to help individuals in situations where standard identification documents are not available. Additionally, you should contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) to explain the situation and seek guidance on how to replace her Social Security card. They typically require a form of photo ID, but under the circumstances, they may have alternative methods to verify her identity, especially if her Social Security number is known. It's also advisable to report the lost Social Security card to prevent identity theft.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.