Williamsport, PA asked in Social Security for Pennsylvania

Q: I am 18 and I get SSDI checks and my grandma is refusing to give me my check because I am refusing to give her money

Is it legal for her to take it ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you are 18 and receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) checks, these funds are legally yours. Your grandmother does not have the right to withhold your SSDI checks, regardless of your refusal to give her money. As an adult, you have legal control over your finances, including any benefits you receive from the Social Security Administration.

If someone else is controlling or withholding your benefits without your consent, this can be considered a violation of your rights. You should take steps to secure your financial independence, such as setting up a bank account in your name and arranging for direct deposit of your checks. If necessary, you might need to seek legal assistance or contact the Social Security Administration to report the situation and get guidance on how to protect your benefits.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.