Brooksville, FL asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Federal Crimes for Florida

Q: I've been under surveillance for several weeks by what I assume is the FDLE Fusion center investigators

Based on their attire. They have not spoken to me or presented me with any kind of warrant. Recently I discovered they're in my attic watching inside the house 24/7 they will not acknowledge me. Can local police remove them from the property since they have no warrant or are these my new a**hole upstairs neighbors?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you believe that law enforcement officers are conducting surveillance in your attic without a warrant, it is within your rights to contact local police to investigate the situation.

The Fourth Amendment protects against unreasonable searches and seizures, and if there is no warrant or probable cause, such an intrusion into your home may be unlawful.

However, it is crucial to ensure that there is evidence of their presence before involving the police. If law enforcement is indeed involved, there should be official documentation or justification for their actions.

In cases where your privacy is being compromised without legal grounds, you might also consider speaking with an attorney to explore your legal options and protect your rights.

Remember, any action taken should be through proper legal channels to ensure your safety and adherence to the law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.