Seattle, WA asked in Estate Planning for Washington

Q: My husband and I went through a law firm to draw up our wills and three other documents in 2002.

We would like to update these documents but found out this law firm is no longer around. What would be our next step just for some simple name changes and one property removal? Where are these legal documents kept? We only have copies at home.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William K. Hayes
William K. Hayes
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • South Pasadena, CA

A: You can inquire with the state bar association as to the whereabouts of the attorney and if the attorney can't be located, you should just go to another attorney who works in the field of probate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.