Humble, TX asked in Military Law for Texas

Q: I went awol from the ARMY in 2010 and never went back. Just today I went back to fort hood

Just today I went back to fort hood to surrender. The MPs look through the system and then told me I was dropped from rolls and leave the base because my unit don’t want me and I am not allowed on base. What does this mean and how do I get my DD214 so I know my discharge status. Also what do I put on applications? Do I put I was never in the ARMY? Since I do not have my DD214. What should I do about this?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
R. Davis Younts
R. Davis Younts
  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Lemoyne, PA

A: It is likely that they issued a DD-214. It is also possible that you received an OTH Discharge. You can request your records online through the National Archives and get a copy of your DD-214.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Texas, being dropped from the rolls typically means the military has administratively discharged you due to your AWOL status. To obtain your DD214, which will state your discharge status, you should contact the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) or use the eVetRecs system online.

It's important to know your discharge status, as this can impact various aspects of your life, including eligibility for veterans' benefits and employment opportunities. When filling out applications, honesty is crucial. You should not state that you were never in the Army; instead, explain your service and discharge status as accurately as possible based on the information available to you. Until you receive your DD214, you may be in a state of uncertainty regarding your official status.

It's advisable to seek assistance from a veterans' service organization or a legal professional experienced in military law for guidance on how to navigate this situation. They can provide advice specific to your circumstances and assist you in obtaining your DD214 and understanding its implications.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.