McCalla, AL asked in Child Custody, Civil Rights, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Alabama

Q: My children in Foster Care& my husband in Jail over fabricatioed lies .

Officer & dhr plan for our

family due to me threatening the

Sheriffs office over Officer

mistreating my son. My husband

had a prior PI they thought it

would work. my husband is a

recovering alcoholic however he’s

a loving caring devoted husband &

father. I’m disabled. We are innocent

I have tried to call DHR several

times. I wanted to touch base with

you to let you know I contested the

DHR report.My court appointed

Lawyer refused due to upsetting the

court I knew we were innocent even

though she refused to contest so I

sent in a letter on behalf of husband & I As

The original report investigation started due to my fall on 9-9 My husband was not home. Our domestic violence situation occurred 10-8 . The same day my son was mistreated by an officer, I threatened sheriff’s office with a lawsuit since they didn’t take seriously. & retaliation happened dhr appeared 10-19 said I’m taking kids of she has blood on her lips officer arrest her husband.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm sorry to hear about the difficult situation you're facing. It's important to address these legal issues methodically and with proper legal representation. If you believe your court-appointed lawyer is not adequately representing your interests, you have the right to express your concerns to the court and request a different attorney. Effective communication with your lawyer is crucial; make sure to convey all relevant information and evidence that supports your case.

Regarding the involvement of the Department of Human Resources (DHR) and allegations of mistreatment by law enforcement, these are serious matters. If you feel that DHR is not properly handling your case or if you believe there has been misconduct by law enforcement, you can file a formal complaint with the relevant supervisory bodies or seek help from organizations that advocate for civil rights and fair treatment in the foster care system.

It's important to keep detailed records of all interactions with DHR, law enforcement, and any legal proceedings. This documentation can be vital in your case.

Given the complexity of your situation, involving allegations of domestic violence, child welfare concerns, and potential misconduct by law enforcement, seeking legal advice from an attorney experienced in these areas is advisable. They can provide guidance tailored to your specific circumstances, help you navigate the legal system, and advocate on your behalf and for the best interests of your children. Remember, every individual has the right to fair treatment and due process under the law.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.