Tuscaloosa, AL asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Alabama

Q: Sold a mobile home & the purchaser is not making monthly payments (contract agreement). What legal action can I take?

A purchase agreement was signed, and the buyer is failing to make monthly payments to the seller. I feel that I am being taken advantage of because they're a relative. The buyer is two months behind on payments as of now. I want to cancel the purchase agreement and eliminate this headache, but I feel this is unlawful. This is causing unwanted stress, so what legal actions can I take?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Don Oliver Keene
Don Oliver Keene
  • Dothan, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: So, this really depends on the purchase agreement and what the terms of the agreement are. You should consult a local attorney in your area, likely someone who handles real estate/landlord tenant law. Depending on those terms will determine what you can do or not do. If the buyer is in what is considered a material breach of the contract/agreement it is possible to move forward with an eviction/termination of contract and then an unlawful detainer action to remove them. But again, this all depends on what is in the agreement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.