Port Saint Lucie, FL asked in Divorce and Family Law for Florida

Q: I divorced 2yrs ago and was awarded alimony in Florida.

I recently entered into a supported relationship and verbally agreed to stop alimony. That relationship lasted six months. Can alimony restart being alimony was not terminated via the court? Unfortunately the loss in alimony has caused a detrimental loss to my living situation, to support me and my ex husbands two children.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The answer will depend on what kind of agreement you entered into with your former spouse when you agreed to the termination (verbal, written, etc.). Since you did not file anything with the court then there may be a chance; however, your former spouse will argue that you reached an agreement and that alimony is terminated. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.