Silver Spring, MD asked in Employment Law and Business Law for Virginia

Q: What can my step dad do to receive his retirement money?

My step dad retired in March 2023 from USPS and was told he would be paid his retirement within 6 months. It’s been 7 months now and there is no positive updates. He worked for them and put in his years for 30 years and he is expected to sit around and not enjoy his retirement? Luckily, he is married to my mother who is still employed, but she is having to help out more than needed. On top of that, I feel they are going to send the funds in one lump sum, making him have to pay a large amount of taxes on it. Please help! I want my step dad to enjoy the time he has after spending so much time, working for them.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dominic Paul Lascara
Dominic Paul Lascara
  • Chesapeake, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: At this point, I can only recommend that you contract a labor law attorney. This is an attorney that handles employer and employee issues. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.