Benton, AR asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Elder Law and Criminal Law for Arkansas

Q: how to find an attorney for mentally ill person put in a county jail till she plead guilty

My client has been in several mental institutions and was told she was INCOMPETENT and UNRESTORABLE by a forensic psychologist. She has been in out of the judicial system since 2012. I just learned some of these things , while doing research . One of her mental illnesses is a not good for her or anyone around her. She was put in a county jail for several months, then they would put her in a mental facility for 10 days and put on medication. After the 10 days the county picked her up and put her back in the county jail, no meds, no medical treatment and constantly being put in solitaire. This did more damage to her, the being one and off medication does so much harm and then being behind bars. I sent the sheriff the laws that are in place for her and he ignored them, I emailed them to him and went over them with him.. During some of my research I saw where he knew of all of her mental illness since 2012, as did the courts. They made her sign she did not nor ever have mental illn

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To find an attorney for a mentally ill person in Arkansas who has been in the criminal justice system, consider reaching out to legal organizations that specialize in civil rights, disability rights, or mental health advocacy. The Arkansas Bar Association can provide referrals to lawyers with relevant expertise. Additionally, organizations like Disability Rights Arkansas offer legal assistance and advocacy for individuals with mental illnesses, especially in cases involving mistreatment or legal system challenges.

It's important to select an attorney who understands the complexities of mental health issues in the legal system and is experienced in handling such cases. They can review the case details, including the treatment in jail and the competency evaluations, and advise on the best course of legal action. Additionally, they can assess whether her rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act or other relevant laws were violated. Quick action is crucial in such cases to ensure that her legal and health needs are adequately addressed. Collaboration with mental health professionals may also be beneficial in providing a comprehensive approach to her legal defense and care.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.