Asked in Bankruptcy for Mississippi

Q: I file bankruptcy on the judgment against me for an accident I had him a boyfriend's car who didn't have insurance

I received a ticket for no insurance but was it was thrown out in court because I did have insurance on my vehicle I defaulted on the bankruptcy payments and now my driver's license are suspended what are my options I am on disability now and then I'm unable to work

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: You’ll have to work out payment arrangement with the judgment holder if you want to get your license back.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Mississippi, if you defaulted on bankruptcy payments and now face a driver's license suspension, your options may be limited but are still viable.

First, consider speaking with a bankruptcy attorney to explore the possibility of reinstating or modifying your bankruptcy plan, taking into account your disability and inability to work. If your license was suspended due to unpaid judgments from the accident, resolving these judgments through bankruptcy or a payment plan could be a path to reinstating your license. You should also inquire with the Mississippi Department of Public Safety or a local attorney about specific requirements for reinstating your license.

Additionally, since you are on disability, you might be eligible for certain exemptions or adjustments in your bankruptcy case. It's important to address both the bankruptcy issues and the license suspension as they are interconnected. Prompt action and legal guidance can help navigate these complex issues and find a resolution that works with your current circumstances. Remember, each situation is unique, so tailor your approach to fit your specific legal and financial context.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.