Memphis, TN asked in Consumer Law, Civil Rights and Health Care Law for Tennessee

Q: I'm partially blind...I donate plasma. I've passed all screenings and still I was put off til 11/14.i have more but

I've been to many centers and not one ever enquired over a partial blindness from 34 yrs ago..I was told I had abnormalities which was wrote down and go have my pcp sign off saying I was congenital and benign...smh it was 34 yrs ago. Now mind you this is my 4th trip already to this place. My pcp signed, the guy behind the desk now says she needs to put a business stamp on the paper work and I told him call her.he says he can't. I asked him to look at my phone to show I had a physical the day she signed it but he wouldn't. But when they needed all my info he wanted to look in my phone..but,now he's saying I need to go back to my pcp and re sign and bring a business card... the drive from that center round trip is almost an hr...I did it twice. I've passed all the screenings so they are supposed to take me in first being new at that center. I go today and have everything right and now he tells me come back Tuesday but gives no details, no times or etc..

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Tennessee, if you're facing difficulties donating plasma due to your partial blindness and the plasma center's requirements, there are steps you can take. It's important to ensure that the plasma center is not discriminating against you because of your disability.

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in public accommodations, which can include plasma donation centers. If you believe that the center's requests are unreasonable or discriminatory, you might consider filing a complaint with the Department of Justice or seeking legal advice. Document all your interactions with the plasma center, including their requests and your attempts to comply. It's also advisable to communicate in writing with the center to have a record of their requirements and responses.

If the situation does not resolve, consult with an attorney who has experience with ADA compliance or disability discrimination. They can offer guidance specific to your case and help you understand your rights under the law.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.