Portland, OR asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: Can I get into my old house to retrieve a box that the new tenant and the landlords know is there?

An angry roommate hid it from me while I was moving out, so I didn't see it during the walk through. I have receipts for everything. Now the new tenant won't let me check if it's there, and the landlords only said "don't get the police involved, it's a waste of time and resources". What can I do to get it back? Its contents are worth over $600, and there is a lot of emotional connection because some of it was my dead twin's belongings.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Oregon, if you've left belongings in a property after moving out and the new tenant and landlords are aware of it, you still have rights to retrieve your property. Since the contents are valuable and have emotional significance, it's important to address this matter promptly.

First, try to negotiate with the landlord and the new tenant for access to retrieve your box. If this doesn't work, you can consider sending a formal written request, highlighting the value and personal significance of the items. Keep a copy of this communication for your records.

If they still refuse, you may need to consider legal action. Small claims court can be an option for recovering property worth up to $10,000 in Oregon. While the landlords advised against involving the police, if you believe your property has been unlawfully withheld or stolen, filing a police report could be a necessary step.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.