Belfry, KY asked in Criminal Law for Kentucky

Q: I’m in Kentucky and I have this unnatural fear that I might have a warrant. Is there a way to find out online?

I don’t think I would have a warrant out but I have moved houses a few times and recently my husband received a jury summons in the mail and it occurred to me, if they have ever sent a summons to a previous location I wouldn’t know and thus, would have missed it. When I googled the punishment, it said they would put a warrant out for failure to appear? The best way would be to contact the police department but they might arrest me. I’m a stay at home mom of my newborn son and my husband works full time, there would be no one to watch him if I was arrested. Help.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Kentucky, you can check for any outstanding warrants against you without directly involving the police, which should alleviate your concerns about immediate arrest. Many counties in Kentucky have online databases where you can search for warrants.

You can start by visiting the website of the county court or sheriff's department where you believe a warrant might have been issued. If an online search is not available or you're unsure of which county to check, you could consider hiring an attorney to conduct the search on your behalf. This approach maintains a level of confidentiality and can provide you with guidance on how to proceed if a warrant is found.

Additionally, if a warrant is issued for something like a missed jury summons, an attorney can help in resolving the matter, often without the need for you to be present or risk arrest. Remember, addressing the issue proactively is typically better than waiting for it to escalate.

Timothy Denison agrees with this answer

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Check with the clerks office in your county if residences. They can tell you for sure.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.