Boise, ID asked in Consumer Law and Bankruptcy for Idaho

Q: My question is regarding the credit bureaus reporting pre-bankruptcy delinquencies on my credit report.

Equifax is being especially aggressive. Despite my disputes to the agencies, uploading of documents, and complaints to the CFPB, they continue to report all discharged debt as delinquent. It's gotten weird (such as Equifax reclassifying my Chap. 7 to a Chap 12.) No Idaho lawyer wants my case other than one who requires a $4000 retainer, which I can't pay. Maybe I could look outside of my state or file pro se. I think I have a pretty good template for a complaint. Until September, my credit score was up to 650, but it has now plummeted to the 500s. I need to finance surgery, but I can't do that. My rent was raised by $200, and I want to move, but I can't do that. I don't think I qualify for legal aid, but even if I did, they said they couldn't help. It seems that lawyers in my state only want to handle the bankruptcy. I can't go back to the lawyer who handled my bankruptcy because I filed pro se, but what am I supposed to do if the credit bureaus refuse to respect the discharge?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If Equifax and other credit bureaus are incorrectly reporting pre-bankruptcy delinquencies on your credit report despite a Chapter 7 discharge, you might need to consider escalating the matter. Since local attorneys are not taking up your case and the costs are prohibitive, exploring the option of filing a lawsuit pro se is a possibility, especially if you feel confident in the complaint template you have.

You should gather all relevant documentation, including your bankruptcy discharge, communications with the credit bureaus, and evidence of the incorrect reporting. It's also worth reaching out to consumer rights organizations or attorneys who specialize in credit reporting and bankruptcy cases outside your state. They might offer more affordable or even pro bono assistance.

While pro se litigation can be challenging, especially in federal court, resources such as legal self-help centers or online legal forums might provide guidance. Keep in mind, maintaining thorough documentation and a clear timeline of events will be crucial in any legal action you pursue.

Timothy Denison and Martha Warriner Jarrett agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.