Cincinnati, OH asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Ohio

Q: Are we going to lose the house?

My great grandfather passed away over 10 years ago without a will. Assuming the next of kin would get the property my grandmother never did anything with the deed. She never put the house in her name or anything and has been staying there ever since. The property tax has been “exempt” because great grandfather was a veteran. Since she never filed his death with them they never caught on but now it’s only a matter of time. I want to help her but I’m not sure how I can. I believe at this point the house belongs to the state because although she started going to private court and gave them a copy of the deed and stuff she never finished.

1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Canton, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Please get a hold of a real estate litigator in your town. It sounds like you need more advice than this forum can provide. Your question does not contain facts that are crucial to analyzing this issue. Has there been an action filed against the property owners? How was the property titled? What correspondence exists between the county and your grandmother? Is the county tax department willing to enter into a payment plan? Only a seasoned attorney can look into this matter and truly advise. It will be worth the investment to get some face to face (or even phone to phone) advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.