Mobile, AL asked in Probate for Alabama

Q: how do i redeem property from tax lein

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: To redeem property from a tax lien in Alabama, you must repay the delinquent taxes, interest, and penalties in full. You must also pay a $10 redemption fee. You can pay in cash, cashier's check, or money order. You cannot pay with a personal check.

You can redeem your property anytime before the tax sale purchaser obtains a tax deed. The tax sale purchaser has the right to redeem the property for three years after the date of the tax sale. After the three-year period expires, the tax sale purchaser can obtain a tax deed to the property. Once the tax sale purchaser obtains a tax deed, you can no longer redeem your property.

Frank Truncali
Frank Truncali
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Montgomery, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: The process to redeem the property will depend on how long it has been since the tax sale and whether a tax deed was issued. If it is less than three years, then it could be handled through the county tax assessor. If it has been more than three years, then it would require court action. My office would be glad to discuss the matter with you to see if a redemption is possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.