Knoxville, TN asked in Constitutional Law and Juvenile Law for Tennessee

Q: If someone has accused you of stalking can you provide a police report to their school if a minor?

Student committed theft from a local gas station To prevent charges they worked with the owner and accused the employee of stalking for chasing and finding out his identity. They are currently trying to press charges for stalking to scare the employee that was hit by his car from taking civil action. Can the private high he attends be given the police report or would this be considered further stalking?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Providing a police report to a minor's school in a situation involving allegations of stalking is a sensitive matter.

Generally, if the police report is a public record, it can be shared. However, it's important to consider the purpose and the potential implications of doing so. If the intent is to inform the school of a relevant incident involving one of their students, particularly if it pertains to safety concerns, it might be appropriate.

However, if the action could be perceived as an attempt to retaliate or further harass the student, it could potentially complicate the situation and might be viewed unfavorably by the authorities.

Before taking any action, it would be prudent to consult with a legal professional to understand the ramifications and ensure that any steps taken do not inadvertently violate laws or escalate the situation. Each case is unique, and the best course of action depends on the specific circumstances and legal considerations involved.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.