Omaha, NE asked in Child Support and Family Law for Nebraska

Q: Is the District Court of Douglas County NE. contracted by the Title 4-D agency to set child support orders?

If my order was set in District Court, why then do I have to deal with a Title 4D Agency. Who has authority over my case? They both can't can they? I'm confussed

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: The child support office is part of the government, or a contractor for the government. The child support office is required to do things like enforce child support orders, among other tasks. This means that they can send an income withholding to garnish wages for child support, among other administative things. The child support office also has attorneys that bring cases in front of the court to ask the court to order, modify, or enforce child support.

The Court is also a part of the government. It enters court orders, including child support orders. The wants of the child support office are sometimes denied by the court. For example, if a child support attorney is asking for child support to be ordered at an amount you object to, then it is up to the Court (Judge) at what amount to order the child support.

Thus, they are separate entities.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.