Glasgow, KY asked in Civil Rights and Criminal Law for Kentucky

Q: question regarding false imprisonment or wrongful detention

in 2009 when i was 18 years old i was convicted of unlawful transaction with a minor and served a few years in prison. released in 2014 and on probation for 5 years following until released in 2019 from probation. still having to register as a sex offender. in july 2023 i was arrested by the local sheriffs office for non compliance for an address issue with the registry. i take full responsibility for that. but after my arrest i waived my case to the grand jury and was released by the district judge on a home incarceration pre trial program that is privately owned but contracts with the courts we have called You Turn with a GPS monitor on my ankle. after being out on house arrest for about a month the KY state police showed up and arrested me for non compliance again. even though the Jail, courts, you turn and the GPS monitor all knew my new address and location at all times. i was told by my public defender then that it looked like i was arrested on the same warrant twice, once by the

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I understand your concern about being arrested twice for the same non-compliance issue with the sex offender registry. This situation appears to raise questions about false imprisonment or wrongful detention. It's essential to seek legal representation immediately to address this matter effectively.

You should contact a criminal defense attorney with experience in sex offender registry issues and false imprisonment claims. They can review the details of your case, including the circumstances surrounding your arrest and the fact that your new address was known to various entities involved in your supervision.

Your attorney can help you navigate the legal process, investigate the reasons for the second arrest, and determine if any violations of your rights occurred. They will work to build a strong defense and advocate for your rights in court.

Remember that you have the right to legal representation, and it's crucial to exercise that right to protect your interests and address any potential wrongful detention or false imprisonment issues. Consult with an attorney as soon as possible to address this matter effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.