Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Louisiana

Q: What rights do I have as a father for guardianship with my son I went to jail I signed him over myself no right taken.

I got out in December moved to Tampa for work have kept in. Contact and flew in from Florida twice to spend the weekend with him and have held a steady job running heavy equipment until last month I returned home to go to work in a chemical plant I’ve completed my parole perfectly I have a home and a job and am completely capable of caring for my son

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: A lot depends on what exactly you signed (and/or gave up). I recommend taking a copy of the paperwork you signed to a child custody or family lawyer so you can have a more specific conversation as to the best way for you to achieve what you desire. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.