Prairieville, LA asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Louisiana

Q: Do you have to contact birth father if they weren't married to the birth mother and didn't go to court for rights?

My daughters birth father and I weren't married and didn't take me to court for rights to our daughter. Now my fiance and I are looking into adoption, the birth father hasn't made contact in over a year and hasn't seen the child in over a year. So I'm just wondering what do we need to do and go about things.

1 Lawyer Answer
Douglas Lee Bryan
Douglas Lee Bryan
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Marksville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: The birth father may have to be placed on notice of the intent to adopt; however, his consent may not be required if he failed to communicate or attempt to communicate with the child without just cause for over 6 months. Your fiance would likely need to marry you, however, to be considered for an intrafamily adoption.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.