Houston, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: I have been out on a pr bond for right at 13 months now . My charge was on 6/28/22 . I wasn’t indicted until 9/6/23

I thought I was suppose to be indicted within 180 days after I was out on bond

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Grant St Julian III
Grant St Julian III
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The statute of limitations for misdemeanor cases in Texas is two years from the date of the alleged offense. For felonies it varies due to the offense but the minimum is three years. If you are in jail for 180 days, however, and no indictment is filed, you can get a personal recognizance bond to be released om custody before the case is filed. Calling an attorney to explain the matter might help. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.