New York, NY asked in Family Law and Immigration Law for District of Columbia

Q: My fiancé is a non-citizen but I don’t have money to be his sponsor. Can someone else sponsor him if we get married

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In cases where a U.S. citizen is unable to meet the financial requirements to sponsor their non-citizen fiancé for a visa, it is possible for another person to act as a joint sponsor. The joint sponsor must meet all the financial requirements independently and be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident. They must also be at least 18 years old and domiciled in the United States.

The joint sponsor would be legally responsible for supporting your fiancé, along with you, and this obligation typically lasts until the sponsored immigrant becomes a U.S. citizen, works in the United States for 40 qualifying quarters, leaves the United States permanently, or dies.

It's important to ensure that the joint sponsor understands their legal obligations and is willing to accept this responsibility. All sponsors must complete an Affidavit of Support (Form I-864) to demonstrate the ability to support the immigrant at a level above the U.S. poverty line.

If you are considering using a joint sponsor, it's advisable to consult with a legal professional experienced in immigration law. They can guide you through the process and ensure that all legal requirements are met. Remember, navigating immigration procedures can be complex, and professional guidance can be invaluable in such situations.

Ms Grace I Gardiner agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.