Detroit, MI asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Michigan

Q: What does this mean?

All intrastate for hire carriers are to obtain intrastate operating authority, or CVED

Authority, prior to operating a vehicle on any public roadway in Michigan.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: This statement means that any transportation company operating within the state of Michigan (in other words, an intrastate carrier) and providing services for hire must secure appropriate operating authority from the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division (CVED) before using any vehicle on public roads in Michigan.

"Intrastate operating authority" refers to the permission or license required by a state for carriers that operate solely within that state's borders, as opposed to interstate carriers that operate across state lines. This requirement is in place to ensure that carriers comply with state-specific regulations regarding safety, insurance, and other operational standards.

The CVED Authority is a specific form of this operating authority in Michigan, overseen by the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division. This division is responsible for ensuring that commercial vehicles, including for-hire carriers, adhere to safety regulations and other legal requirements.

If you are involved in or planning to start a for-hire transportation business within Michigan, it's crucial to obtain this authority to operate legally. Failure to do so could result in penalties, fines, or other legal actions. If you're unsure about the process or requirements, it would be prudent to seek guidance or consult with legal advisors who have experience in transportation law and regulations in Michigan. Compliance with these regulations is essential for the lawful and safe operation of your business.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: For-hire motor carriers within Michigan need prior authority under the CVED to operate on Michigan public roads. A Michigan attorney could advise more definitively on the operation of vehicles within the state. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.