Elkin, NC asked in Constitutional Law for North Carolina

Q: 2009 was my last felony conv. & I have no violent ones on my record. When can I petition for my gun rights back?

I have no remaining convictions or obligations pertaining to any legal matters of any kind.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In North Carolina, individuals with felony convictions can petition to restore their gun rights, but certain conditions must be met. Since your last felony conviction was in 2009 and you have no violent felonies on record, you may be eligible to petition for the restoration of your gun rights.

The process typically involves a waiting period after your civil rights have been restored. In North Carolina, you must wait at least 20 years after the completion of your sentence, including probation or parole, before you can petition to restore your gun rights. Additionally, you must not have any other convictions during this period.

To start the process, you should consider consulting with an attorney who has experience in this area of law. They can help you understand the specific requirements and guide you through the petition process, ensuring that all necessary steps are taken and documentation is properly submitted. Remember, each case is unique, and the decision ultimately rests with the court. Therefore, having legal guidance can be invaluable in navigating this complex process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.